Simple Delicious Meals
These are trying times and we need to take precautions and stay at home. We also need to eat food that is healthy, nutritious and good for the immune system.Find below a list of healthy and immunity booster foods.
Spinach Khichdi (Spinach, Lentils and Rice Porridge)
This is a great dish for when you are feeling under the weather or sick. Not only is it comforting but it is packed with vitamins, iron and magnesium that will help boost your immune system.
- 1 cup short grain rice
- 1/2 cup mung dal
- 1.5 tsp salt
- 4 cups water
- 1 lb baby spinach
- 1/2 inch ginger
- 3 tbsp ghee plus more for serving
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp black pepper
- Rinse rice and lentils and drain the water. Add rice, lentils, water and salt to the pressure cooker and pressure cook for 6 minutes followed by 5 minutes natural pressure release.
- In a large pot bring 8 to 10 cups of water to boil. Add baby spinach and blanch for 1 to 2 minutes or just until all the spinach wilts. Drain out the water completely.
- Add ginger and blanched spinach and black pepper to a blender and make a smooth puree.
- In a pot heat ghee . Add cumin seeds and allow them to sizzle, about 30 seconds. Stir in spinach puree and salt. Then add the cooked rice and dal (from step 1 above) and mix everything together. Serve immediately with more ghee and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
Sweet Potato With Kale & Ginger
- 3/4 inch ginger (fresh)
- 1/2 lbs kale
- 2 pinches salt
- 1 tbsp ghee or coconut oil
- 2 cups sweet potato
- Boil the kale until leaves turn a vibrant shade of green green and strain.
- In a separate pot, add the diced sweet potatoes with just enough water to cover them. Add the salt and boil until soft. Remove from heat and save sweet water for another meal.
- Grate and sautee ginger in Ghee for thirty seconds. Then add cooked sweet potatoes and kale and salt to taste. Mix gently to avoid breaking up the soft sweet potatoes.
Lentil Gooseberry Soup
- 1/2 cup red lentil
- 1/2 cup green moong dal
- 2 cloves
- 2-3 peppercorns
- 1/2 cup chopped spinach leaves
- 1/2 chopped carrot
- 1-inch ginger
- 2 tomatoes chopped
- 2 gooseberries cut into small pieces
- In a pot, add all the veggies including the gooseberries in 4-5 cups of water, stir and cover. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Remove from fire, allow it to cool and puree them once cooled down.
- Take a pressure cooker and add a tsp of ghee. Add the red lentils and moong dal and mix well. Add the water, salt and pressure cook it for 3-4 whistles and allow the pressure cooker to cool naturally. Open the pressure cooker and blend everything to a smooth puree.
- Heat ghee in a large pan over medium-low heat. Once hot, add the peppercorns and cloves and allow to splutter. Now, add the ginger paste. Once the raw aroma goes, add the vegetables puree and lentils daal to it.
- Add water to make it the consistency of a soup and allow it to simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add cilantro to garnish.
Try these recipes and let us know how it went for you.