Inside a Yogi's Kitchen - Recipe Horse Gram Soup (Ulavacharu)
Horse gram: 1/2 cup
Tamarind paste: 2-3 tsp
Peppercorn: 1 Tbsp
Cumin seeds: 1 Tbsp
Mustard seed: 1/2 Tbsp
Curry leaves: 1 sprig
Coriander leaves: 1 or 2 sprigs
Salt to taste
Oil: 2 tsp
- Soak the horse gram seeds overnight and pressure cook till soft.
- Drain the water and keep it aside for later use. (The water's color will be chocolatey)
- Dry roast the mustard seeds, cumin seeds, and peppercorn and grind to a fine powder.
- Mash half of the cooked horse gram.
- Heat the oil in a pan and shallow fry the curry leaves.
- Add the tamarind paste, strained horse gram water, roasted powder, smashed horse gram and salt.
- Add sufficient water and make sure the gravy is not too thick.
- Add the remaining horse gram and mix.
- Remove from flame.
- Sprinkle finely chopped coriander leaves over the gravy.
- Serve with steamed rice and enjoy!
Let us know how you find horse gram, and how your attempts to befriend it have gone!
Join our monthly food and nutrition workshop which is conducted online. also, get a free Yogic Recipe Ebook after the online session.
Join our WhatsApp community of yogis - Whatsapp group